Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Science, Pusan National University, Aug. 2016
- Theme: Quantifying the Absorption Efficiency of Organic Aerosol by Observations and Assessing its Climatic Effects
- M. S., Atmospheric Sciences, Pusan National University, 2009-2011
- Theme: Identification of Nonlinear Coupled Intraseasonal Phases in the East Asian Summer Monsoon using Self Organizing Map
- B. S., Atmospheric Environmental Sciences, Pusan National University, 2005-2009
- Jan 2017 - present: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, IBS Center for Climate Physics (ICCP)
Fellowships, Awards, and Honors
- National Junior Research Fellowship for “Core Leaders of the Future Basic Science Program” (Role: Principal investigator, 2013-2016, ~60,000 USD/year)
- Project title: Monsoon-aerosol interaction and climate feedback mechanism
- Travel Grant Award for young scientists, International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG) General Assembly 2015, June 2015
- Outstanding Achievement Academic Award, President of National Sciences Collage at Pusan National University, June 2013
- Future Scientist Award, Federation of Busan Science and Technology, December 2012.
- Outstanding Environment Research Academic Award, Environment Research Institute at Pusan National University, December 2012
- Boreal summer monsoon intraseasonal oscillation
- Nonlinear self-organizing map analysis
- Biomass burning aerosol light absorption
- Aerosol-monsoon interaction
- U.S. Tornado outbreak and its relationship with transbasin SST gradient
- Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum climate variability
- Jung-Eun Chu, Bin Wang, June-Yi Lee, and Kyung-Ja Ha, 2017: Boreal summer intraseasonal phases identified by nonlinear multivariate empirical orthogonal function-based self-organizing map (ESOM) analysis, Journal of Climate, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0660.1. (Published online)
- Jung-Eun Chu, and Kyung-Ja Ha, 2016: Quantifying organic aerosol single scattering albedo over the tropical biomass burning regions, Atmospheric Environment, 147, 67-78, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2016.09.069
- Chul Eddy Chung, Jung-Eun Chu, Yunha Lee, Twan van Noije, Hwayoung Jeong, Kyung-Ja Ha and Marguerite Marks, 2016: Global fine-mode aerosol radiative effect, as constrained by comprehensive observations, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 16, 8071-8080, doi:10.5194/acp-16-8071-2016.
- Kyung-Ja Ha, Jung-Eun Chu, June-Yi Lee, and Kyung-Sook Yun, 2016: Interbasin coupling between the tropical Indian and Pacific Ocean on interannual timescale: Observation and CMIP5 reproduction, Climate Dynamics, doi:10.1007/s00382-016-3087-6.
- Jung-Eun Chu, Kyung-Ja Ha, June-Yi Lee, Bin Wang, Byeong-Hee Kim and Chung Eddy Chul, 2014: Future Change of the Indian Ocean Basin-Wide and Dipole Modes in the CMIP5, Climate Dynamics, 43(1), 535-551, doi:10.1007/s00382-013-2002-7.
- Kyung-Ja Ha, Jung-Eun Chu, June-Yi Lee, Bin Wang, Saji N. Hameed and Masahiro Watanabe, 2012: What caused the cool summer over northern Central Asia, East Asia and central North America during 2009?, Environmental Research Letters, 7(4), 044015, doi:10.1088/1748-9326/7/4/044015.
- Kyung-Sook Yun, Ki-Young Heo, Jung-Eun Chu, Kyung-Ja Ha, Eun-Jeong Lee, Yumi Choi and Akio Kitoh, 2012: Changes in Climate Classification and Extreme Climate Indices from a High-Resolution Future Projection, Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, doi: 10.1007/s13143-012-0022-6, 48(3), 213-226.
- Jung-Eun Chu, Saji N. Hameed, Kyung-Ja Ha, 2012: Non-linear, intraseasonal phases of the East Asian summer monsoon: Extraction and analysis using self-organizing maps, Journal of Climate, 25(20), 6975-6988, doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-11-00512.1.
- Jung-Eun Chu and Kyung-Ja Ha, 2011: Classification of Intraseasonal Oscillation in Precipitation using Self-Organizing Map for the East Asian Summer Monsoon, Atmosphere 21(3), 221-228. (In Korean)
- Ye-Won Seo, Jung-Eun Chu and Kyung-Ja Ha, 2010: On response of Surface Equilibrium Temperature for Change of Surface Characteristics: An EBM study, The Korean Journal of Quaternary Research, 24(2), 1-11. (In Korean)